Friday 18 May 2018

Raising a Child with Vitiligo: How Tuff Is It?



We commonly meet vitiligo patients at bus stations, parking lots, cafes, hospitals, but how about our children with the same condition. Generally, vitiligo is associated with a stigma and this is an actual source of worry for hundreds of parents raising their children with vitiligo.

In the first year, it looked like a normal discoloration and I simply believed that it cropped from the serum my daughter was taking at that moment. I remember asking her whether it hurts and she said no. The white patches were small and slightly noticeable.

Suggestions like an allergic reaction came in and we were certain that the condition would fade on its own. Unfortunately, the white patches became noticeable after 5 months. It was completely disheartening because I couldn’t help my daughter. I hardly knew that it was vitiligo, until when a friend suggested that I take my daughter to a dermatologist.

There, my daughter was diagnosed with vitiligo and had to start treatment as suggested. Topical corticosteroids are a form of vitiligo treatment in India termed effective for children. I openly accepted it since other treatment approaches seemed unbearable because of their numerous side effects.
 
She took the medications for a year, after which the white patches gradually disappeared. I must say that during her entire treatment I kept on advising her to stay calm and open-minded otherwise a child’s mind can’t be entirely understood. With time, my daughter’s skin became fine, but I still have a fear that it must return. According to my experience, raising a child with vitiligo is difficult. I remain thankful to the dermatologist that treated my daughter. Finding the best dermatologist in India for vitiligo treatment is the only source of hope for patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment